Diploma in Anesthesiology (DA)
Faculty of Surgery
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University
1. Name of the course: Diploma in anesthesiology (DA)
2. Duration: Two Academic Year
3. Date of commencement: July of each year
4. Aims and objectives of the course:
General Objectives: To develop a medical expert to have specialized knowledge, skill and expertise in the field of Anaesthesia, analgesia intensive care medicine and palliative care with professionalism directed to accountability and respect for others and be responsive to health needs of the society.
Specific Objectives: The educational or academic and training process will go side by side with aimed to produce specialists in the field of Anaesthesia, analgesia intensive care medicine and palliative care who:
- Shall be able to assess the patients seeking Anaesthesia, analgesia intensive care medicine and palliative care treatment by obtaining patient’s history, eliciting physical findings, formulating provisional diagnosis, deciding whether patient needs hospitalization or not.
- Shall acquire knowledge, competency and expertise in Anaesthesia, analgesia, intensive care medicine and palliative care practical skill and techniques during training periods and should be able to manage all types of emergencies and routine problems.
- Shall acquire a humanitarian approach and good communication skill with patients, attendants, colleagues and other auxiliary staffs.
- Shall acquire professionalism aspires responsibility, accountability, honor and respect for others.
- Shall provide optimum health care to the Anaesthesia, analgesia intensive care medicine and palliative care patients..
- Shall be aware of one’s professional limitations and be able to refer to appropriate centers/specialist when required.
5. Eligibility for admission:
- MBBS/ equivalent degree recognized by BMDC
- Minimum two years after passing MBBS or its equivalent degree recognizes by BMDC
- Other government or university rule and regulations.
6. Admission Test: Entrance examination will be of MCQ type, containing 60% of questions from basic & 40% form clinical subject. 7. Course content: Paper I (customized Basic Science): Anatomy, Physiology, Basic/ General Pharmacology, Physics and Clinical measurement Paper II (Basic Clinical): Clinical Pharmacology, Basics of Anaesthesia, Pain and Palliative Care, Intensive Care Medicine Paper III (Clinical Anaesthesia): Anaesthesia for particular operation/ problem, Coexisting diseases and complications of anaesthesia) 8. Training rotations: Respective department/ institute will arrange rotations duties in block by mutual co-operation with other departments/institutions.
|Pre-operative assessment||1 month|
|General Surgery||3 months|
|Orthopaedics and trauma||2 months|
|Gynae. & Obs||3 months|
|Eye + ECT||1 month|
|ICU & post anaesthesia care unit||3 months|
|Paediatrics surgery||1 month|
|Cardiothoracic & Vascular unit||1 month|
|Radiology & Imaging||2 weeks|
|Pain & Palliative care||1 month|
|Dental and orofacial surgery||2 weeks|
|Anesthesia for offsite procedures Exam preparatory period||2 weeks 2weeks|
Total =24 months Training should be structured and supervised.
8.1. Operating Room duty for skill development: During the taught course period students will be placed in the operating room as a specified period except for the didactic class schedule.
8.2. Work Schedule It is mandatory to work in the morning session (08.00-2.30pm) irrespective of any evening and night duty.
8.3. Evening and Night duty Evening and night duties will be fixed by the Department as their own policy
. 9. Summative Examination /Final Examination: 9.1. Summative or exit examination will be twice in a year in July & January, the date will be determined by the university. 9.2. There will three papers for written examination 9.3. Written questions: In each paper there will be four questions. In Group-A two questions and in Group-B two questions. Of them one will be Structured Essay type and one will be short Answer Questions type (five in number). 9.4. Clinical-practical: In clinical there will be one long case and minimum three short cases. In long case 30 minutes will be for history taking and examination and 15 minutes for crossing by two examiners. Fifteen minutes will be allotted for short cases. Two examiners will assess the candidate in long case. Two examiners will assess short cases of opposite group of students. In practical there will be objective structured clinical evaluation (OSCE) consisting of ten stations. Communication skill, Resuscitation, X-ray, ECG, Data/ Investigations interpretation, Drugs, CPR Anaesthetic Equipments, Measuring equipment, Referral/ Discharge note 9.5. Oral: Structured viva-voce. There will be two boards: In each board there will be two examiners. Fifteen minutes for each board equally divided into two examiners. There will be 4 examiners, Associate professor and above. 50% of the examiners will be external. 9.6. To pass, the candidate have to secure at least 60% marks in each of the three components of written (three paper combindly), Clinical-practical and oral examination.
|Components of examination||Paper||Marks allotted||Time||Pass marks|
10. Formative assessment There will formative assessment at the end of each six months of training by the supervisor/department or by the institute. Three satisfactory certificates will be pre-requisite along with others for appearing in the final exit examination. The last six month will end with summative examination
11. Eligibility for appearing in the final examination:
- Two years in-course training
- 3 satisfactory 6 monthly report of formative assessment
- 75% attendance in lectures, Seminar, Symposium and Journal club etc.
- Satisfactorily completed logbook and case book
Affiliated Institute :
- Bangabandu Sheikh Mujib Medical University
- Dhaka Medical College
- Sir Solimullah Medical College & Mitford Hospital
- Bangladesh Institute of Research Diabetes, Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders (BIRDEM)
- Chittagong Medical College Hospital
- Rajshahi Medical College
- Sylhet Medical College
- Mymensingh Medical College
- Comilla Medical College
- Sher e bangla medical college, Barisal
- Shaheed ziaur rahman medical college, Bogra